Wednesday, March 10, 2010

And So I've Realized....


Being a fluent English speaker, to some, is valued more than money! I spoke at an event a couple of week ago, put on by a group of Sudanese who just want to talk and improve their English speaking skills. They requested that the topic be American Marriages. After presenting we had a heated but constructive discussion on the differences in culture. In the end I learned more than they did, I'm sure. But that hasn't been an uncommon occurrence while I've been here. Being in Sudan has not only matured me, but I've helped the kids I teach mature as well. There's been a trade, and frankly I feel like they got the short end of the stick! Today, I looked around at the 5th graders and realized that most of the boys had grown at least an inch since I came in September (or I was hallucinating because of the hundred plus degree weather). I'm already saying goodbyes!

Today was the last school day for the Eighth Grade Sudanese Certificate class that I taught English to. They take their exams (pretty big deal here in Sudan) next week and they're all nervous. I gave each of them a hug and a personalized blurb on how best to focus on their English exam. I'm nervous for them too, but I realized that all you can do is prepare them as best you know how! Meaning that I gave them a couple take home tests to do over the weekend before Sunday.

I'm starting to really REALLY appreciate this experience and take it for what it is, and although I'm working through passport/visa problems at the school (currently, I can't leave the country), I'm looking up. I've always looked for the bright side of things (to a fault). Being here has taught me so many lessons. Here are just a few:

1. Don't judge a book by its cover can mean two very different things. Not everyone you meet or have to interact with has good intentions. I met a couple of horror books, masked as fairy tales. *SCREAM*

2. Don't trust everyone's cooking. I'll leave it at that.

3. Malaria prevention pills aren't always necessary but when they are, don't take them on a half empty stomach!

4. Language books are completely useless when learning a foreign language abroad. You're best resource: the people. In my case, the kids. I spend more time with them than I do at home!

5. Traveling is a gift. Cherish it. I know so many people who've traveled 'safely'. You've got to take risks to gain something from an experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment